2017 Pemberton Music Festival cancelled, no automatic refunds for ticketholders

The biggest music festival in B.C. has been cancelled.

Global News has learned that the organizers of the Pemberton Music Festival have filed for bankruptcy.

Documents obtained by Global News show there will be no automatic refunds for tickets as “the festival is now in bankruptcy and has no ability to provide refunds for tickets purchased.”

READ MORE: What to do if you have a ticket to the 2017 Pemberton Music Festival

Ticketholders may file a proof of claim form with Ernst & Young, which is the festival’s trustee in bankruptcy. However, determining if a refund is applicable will not be known for several weeks.

Refunds may be available to ticketholders from third parties if tickets were purchased using a credit card.

HangZhou Night Net

As each bank and credit card issuer has its own specific policies, ticketholders can contact their bank or credit card issuer directly to determine whether a refund can be obtained.

READ MORE: What to do if you have a ticket to the 2017 Pemberton Music Festival

Documents also show the festival owes US $2.5 million to its creditors. Festival directors determined they were unable to meet the festival’s financial obligations as a result of decreased ticket sales and increased operating losses.

WATCH:  2017 Pemberton Festival goes bankrupt. Jill Bennett broke the story and has the details. 

Organizers say they have collected $8,225,000 in ticket revenue so far this year. The budgeted expenses stand at $22,000,000.

READ MORE: Some ticket holders are out more than $1,000

They say the festival has been significantly impacted since 2015 by a weakening Canadian dollar relative to the US dollar.

READ MORE: Security guards from 2015 Pemberton Music Festival owed thousands

Shareholders and investors funded several million dollars to cover the festival’s cash losses over the last three years.

Last summer, it was revealed a group of security guards were still owed money for working at the festival the year before.

In the minutes before today’s announcement, the festival’s website said all but the $369 regular tickets were sold out. Both the website and the festival’s 杭州桑拿会所 account have now been scrapped.

WATCH: Why are so many music festivals failing?

Huka Entertainment, the promoter and planner for the cancelled festival, said in a statement:

“For the past four years, Huka Entertainment has worked to create a one-of-a-kind experience in the most beautiful place on earth. We are heartbroken to see the 2017 Pemberton Music Festival cancelled.

As a contract producer, Huka did not make the decision to cancel the festival. That decision was made by the Pemberton Music Festival, LP. We are extremely disappointed for our fans, artists and all of our partners who have supported the festival over the years.”

The summer camping music festival was supposed to take place July 13-16.

This year’s lineup included such high-profile performers as Muse, Chance the Rapper, A Tribe Called Quest and dozens of other acts.

Pemberton Music Festival: Boom or bust for the local economy

02:33

Pemberton Music Festival: Boom or bust for the local economy

03:40

Pemberton Music Festival 2016 underway

02:40

Cleaning up Pemberton Music Festival mess

01:53

Pemberton Music Festival fire concerns

01:24

Death at Pemberton Music Festival

02:00

Pemberton Music Festival crime



The Pemberton Music Festival was first held as a three-day event in 2008.

It was not held for five years between 2009 and 2013, resuming in 2014 under different ownership.

Nova Scotia Election: McNeil fends off attacks from PC, NDP leaders in debate

Liberal Premier Stephen McNeil fended off multiple attacks on his record Thursday as Nova Scotia’s major-party leaders clashed over health care, education and the economy during the first televised leaders debate of the campaign.

During the 90-minute back-and-forth, Progressive Conservative Leader Jamie Baillie and NDP Leader Gary Burrill targeted McNeil’s broken promises on doctors and the film tax credit.

HangZhou Night Net

But McNeil brushed off the barrage with confidence, a generally calm demeanour and an ability to hold the floor. He pointed to his achievements while in office.

READ MORE: Complete Nova Scotia election coverage

“Let’s not turn back now,” he said, looking into the cameras during his closing remarks. “We are in a time where we can make strategic investments and continue to build what we’ve accomplished.”

Still, his opponents pointed to what they painted as his penny-pinching, top-down style with teachers and other public-sector unions while in government.

WATCH: McNeil fends off attacks from PC, NDP leaders in first Nova Scotia election debate. Marieke Walsh reports.

Both Baillie and Burrill wove into the debate their disapproval over McNeil’s handling of issues while in power, especially on health care.

Baillie questioned McNeil’s 2013 promise that every Nova Scotian would have access to a family doctor.

“You promised them a doctor,” Baillie told McNeil, who cited a number of other promises he’d been able to keep.

READ MORE: Nova Scotia Election: Why health care has become the number one issue

Baillie said one of the hardest calls he’d had to make was to Kim D’Arcy, whose husband, Jack Webb, died Feb. 1 after he had languished for six hours in a chilly emergency-room hallway and was bumped from his room by another dying patient during five days of struggles in Halifax’s largest hospital.

“We need more doctors. We need them urgently,” Baillie said.

Burrill asked McNeil if he would admit the province has a health care crisis.

“Do I believe there’s a crisis? No,” McNeil said. “Are there challenges? Of course there are.”

McNeil defended his record, saying the province’s health system has improved during his term, and his government has taken measures to train and bring more doctors to Nova Scotia.

His government reduced administrative costs by merging health authorities, he said.

McNeil said a re-elected Liberal government would invest in collaborative care teams to ensure all Nova Scotians have access to primary care.

READ MORE: New poll shows N.S. Liberals continue to lead, 24 per cent of voters undecided

He also defended attacks on his labour relations record, arguing he has to represent all taxpayers at the negotiating table.

“Being premier you need to strike a balance,” McNeil said. “You need to make sure that not only can you afford the wages you are prepared to talk about, but you need to make sure you have room to make the investments Nova Scotians require in their communities.”

Burrill said teacher morale “is at an all-time low,” and promised to reopen negotiations with the province’s teachers, cap class sizes and hire more specialists.

“Let’s give teachers the real discipline and attendance policies they deserve and let’s get mental health into classrooms,” Baillie said.

Baillie criticized Burrill’s promise to make community college tuition free.

READ MORE: Nova Scotia Election 2017: Tracking party promises on education

“Making education free means we’re going to train people to go somewhere else,” he said.

The debate featured no obvious knockout blows, however, and a calm McNeil later told reporters he felt he did what he needed to do.

“Nova Scotians expect their premier to look at all the circumstances and make decisions that they believe are in the best interest of all Nova Scotians, defend those decisions and talk about what the future looks like … and that’s what I did tonight,” he said.

Baillie was asked whether he had done enough to make Nova Scotians consider the Tories at the polling booth.

He said the debate was about presenting his party’s long-term vision for creating jobs, while drawing a contrast with “Liberal mistakes” over the last three-and-a-half years.

“I think he (McNeil) still has a lot to answer for, quite frankly, but for me today was about showing people that we have a more positive way forward.”

The debate was a first-time experience for Burrill, who held his own as the NDP tries to rebound from a stinging election defeat in 2013.

“I’ve worked harder for less,” he quipped to reporters.

Burrill said for him the debate was about presenting two fundamentally opposed views on the best way to get the province moving.

“We have two parties that support the view that developing a budget surplus is the most important sign of a government’s competence and a party — us — that takes the view that what’s most important is the needs of the people,” he said.

Nova Scotia NDP proposes nearly $1 billion deficit over four years

01:58

Nova Scotia NDP proposes nearly $1 billion deficit over four years

02:03

Nova Scotia PCs unveil new spending, promise balanced budget with few details on cuts

02:03

Liberals release platform with $1.08 billion in spending and tax cuts



Nova Scotians go to the polls May 30.

Cirque du Soleil looks to hire 200 people for Edmonton run of ‘Kurios’

If you ever had dreams of running away to join the circus, this might be your chance — sort of.

Cirque du Soleil is looking to hire about 200 people in Edmonton for its run of Kurios – Cabinet of Curiosities, which will be shown under the big tent at Northlands from July 20 to Aug. 13.

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • New Champion Petfoods facility to create hundreds of jobs in Parkland County

  • The 10 best jobs of 2017 in Canada, according to Indeed杭州夜网

  • Cirque Du Soleil’s ‘TORUK – The First Flight’ coming to Edmonton

    “These are jobs that are ushers, box office, people to work in the retail merchandise area. We are also looking for some individuals to work in the kitchen, experienced chefs,” explained Hilary Predy with Adecco Employment Services, the company in charge of the hiring.

    A job fair was held in Edmonton on Thursday and another will be held next Wednesday to recruit summer employees. Workers will be employed from July 15 to Aug. 13 and work anywhere from 25 to 30 hours per week.

    “It would be great for university students, teachers who are on summer vacation, people who don’t want to have a full commitment for the summer but would like to be involved with the show for the four weeks that [it’s] around,” Predy said.

    Kurios tells the story of an ambitious inventor who defies the laws of time, space and dimension in order to reinvent everything around him. The visible becomes invisible, perspectives are transformed and the world is turned upside down — literally.

    The next job fair in Edmonton will be held on May 24 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Scotia Place. Anyone interested in applying for one of the summer jobs can also do so online.

Times Square suspect’s checkered past included 2 months in navy prison

NEW YORK, May 18 (Reuters) – The driver of the car that careened through New York City‘s Times Square on Thursday was a U.S. Navy veteran who had been arrested at least four times before for offenses including drunk driving and threatening someone with a knife, according to police officials and public records.

Richard Rojas, 26, plowed into people on the sidewalk in his burgundy Honda sedan and sped three blocks through one of the city’s busiest areas, killing one pedestrian and injuring 22 others before crashing into a metal stanchion, police said.

READ MORE: 1 person dead, multiple injured at New York’s Times Square after car drives onto sidewalk

Rojas returned from his Navy service with a drinking problem and had posted “crazy stuff” on social media, said a friend, Harrison Ramos, speaking to Reuters outside the apartment building where Rojas lives in New York City’s Bronx borough.

“Don’t make him out to be a terrorist or something,” Ramos said. “He served his country and when he came back, nobody helped him.”

Rojas attended college and works in real estate, Ramos said.

“He went through a real tough time,” Ramos said, adding that he had lost contact with Rojas. “That’s my friend. I care about him, and it hurts.”

NYPD announce charges against man who drove car onto sidewalk in Times Square

01:13

NYPD announce charges against man who drove car onto sidewalk in Times Square

02:19

NYPD: Suspect in Times Square incident has history of DUI arrests

01:41

Witness describes scene of deadly Time Square crash

00:45

Times Square crash witness thought bomb went off

02:09

New York firefighters rush to aid victims of deadly Times Square crash

01:55

Victim put on stretcher after car strikes pedestrians in Times Square

00:33

1 reportedly dead after car drives onto sidewalk near Times Square



Only a week ago, Rojas was arrested at his apartment in the Bronx for threatening another man with a knife.

“Do you feel safe? You stole my identity,” Rojas told the man, grabbing his neck in one hand while brandishing the knife in the other, according to a police spokeswoman. She did not have additional details about the incident.

He was charged with menacing and possession of a weapon, according to court records. He eventually pleaded guilty to harassment, a violation, and was not sentenced to any prison time.

Rojas was also charged with drunken driving in 2008 and 2015, according to New York City police. The state motor vehicle department confirmed he was convicted of driving while impaired in both cases but still had a valid driver’s license as of Thursday.

WATCH: NYPD awaiting results from toxicology tests on Times Square driver

As of 5 p.m. (2110 GMT) on Thursday, police had not yet announced formal charges against Rojas in the Times Square incident, and he had not yet appeared in court. It was not immediately clear whether Rojas had a defense lawyer.

Rojas enlisted in the Navy in 2011. He served as an electrician’s mate fireman apprentice, mostly based in Florida.

While stationed in Jacksonville, Rojas was arrested for battery and resisting an officer without violence, both misdemeanors.

READ MORE: 28 injured after vehicle plows into New Orleans parade crowd, driver appears intoxicated

An arrest report from the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office said Rojas yelled at an officer, “My life is over,” and threatened to kill police after his release from jail. He also told the officer that he had beaten a cab driver to whom he owed money and had been drinking at the time of the arrest, according to the report.

Court records indicate the charges may have been dropped.

Navy records show he spent two months in a military prison in Charleston, South Carolina, in the summer of 2013 but do not specify why.

He left the service in May 2014, according to records, which do not offer any additional details.

READ MORE: 2 arrested after Stockholm truck attack kills 4, injures 15

A few hours after the Times Square incident, about 20 police officers and detectives occupied the sidewalk outside the six-story red brick building where Rojas lives.

A woman who used to live in the building, Fati Razak, said she occasionally sees Rojas when she returns to visit her mother.

“We don’t have anything in common except to say ‘hi,’” said Razak, who works as a hairdresser next door. She said Rojas’ family is Dominican and that his mother is a “sweetheart” who sometimes makes food or coffee for the beauty salon’s workers.

HangZhou Night Net

‘Never should have happened:’ 78-year-old woman dies in Cobourg, Ont., hospital foyer

Northumberland Hills Hospital in Cobourg, Ont., has completed an internal review of emergency procedures after the apparent death of an elderly woman in the regional health facility’s front foyer earlier this month.

“This is a terrible situation that I feel never should have happened,” witness Patrick Ahern told Global News.

HangZhou Night Net

Ahern and his girlfriend Joeline Cabanaw were walking toward the hospital to visit a patient on May 9 when they watched an ambulance, sirens blaring, pull up to the building’s front entrance. That’s where they noticed a 78-year-old woman had collapsed on the ground.

“It was quite evident to see that this woman was vital signs absent,” said Ahern, a former OPP auxillary officer.

“We arrive there (and) EMS start compressions; they’re trying to perform lifesaving CPR on this woman in the front foyer of a hospital … where is the medical team that’s involved with the hospital?”

“I just felt for that poor woman and her husband who was hovering over her body – helpless,” recalled Cabanaw.

Ahern estimates it would’ve been a three to five minute span before paramedics could arrive. Time the couple says could’ve been used to provide immediate aid had hospital staff been notified.

The woman’s family identified her as Joyce Devonshire of Port Hope, Ont.

Her son said she suffered a heart attack while going to the hospital for a routine appointment.

Hospital protocol doesn’t allow for volunteers, such as the person at the front desk of a hospital, to deliver care, but volunteers can call in alerts like a code blue, which is used when a patient’s heart stops. That would have put a process in place to get immediate medical attention for the woman from within the building; getting her into the nearby emergency room much sooner.

“Someone not breathing, not responding, that’s the difference between life and death,” said Ahern.

“Unfortunately for this poor woman and her family it resulted in the latter.”

In the immediate aftermath, the hospital’s CEO insisted that volunteers here did what they were instructed to do by calling for help.

But the hospital’s President and CEO Linda Davis won’t talk about whether it was the right kind of help.

“I can’t speak to the particular incident,” she said, citing privacy requirements.

“There are situations when Emergency Management Services are called to assist. That occurs in other hospitals. And so from that perspective, there are times when we use EMS,” Davis said.

Deeming the situation “unusual,” Davis had hospital staff and management launch and internal review of the hospital’s response last week. The results were released Wednesday and there are seven recommendations:

1. Refresh education to all NHH staff and volunteers on the existing hospital policy directing the use of the existing 5555 telephone service to report emergencies on hospital property, regardless of where they occur
2. Instruct staff and volunteers to ‘err on the side of caution’ when calling emergency codes – they can be easily cancelled if found they are not required
3. Instruct volunteers to reach out to closest available staff if immediate assistance is required, so that a staff member may take over
4. Remind staff located at/near all entrances of their role to assist volunteers should they be in need of assistance
5. Add regular emergency code exercises in hospital entrance ways and parking lots to existing mock emergency training
6. Place prominent Emergency? Dial 5555 stickers on specified phones
7. Review the current process regarding emergency preparedness education for volunteers and staff during orientation and enhance as required

Ahern said he’s not a medical expert, but the recommendations should do more to change procedures that he said are “failed.”

“If that’s the best we can do, we’ve failed,” he said.

“We’ve failed as a system, we’ve failed as a hospital, and if we’re going to allow that and accept that —; we’ve failed as a community.”

READ MORE: Family asking questions after son dies following Surrey hospital ER visit

Ahern said he remains in touch with the family of the woman and heard they’re seeking legal advice.

Meanwhile, Devonshire’s son described her as someone who was always active in her community by doing fundraising work for local initiatives as well as working for the Province of Ontario and Town of Scarborough as it was known then.

The family said she leaves behind an 80-year-old husband and that she was also a grandmother and great grandmother.